Haskaps are so delicious and nutritious, they’ll be your new favourite berry!
Flavour in a Class of Its Own
Haskaps, also known as blue honeysuckles, are little blue berries that look like (you guessed it!) blueberries, but darker and with an oblong shape.
Haskaps have a wonderfully unique flavour that’s a cross between blueberry, raspberry, black currant, and blackberry, with a touch of rhubarb, nectarine, and plum. Sound too delicious to be true? Just try them! You’ll be blown away by the explosion of flavours. No wonder big‑name chefs have started using them in their dishes.
Plus, they’re hardy enough to be farmed with minimal pesticides, or even none at all. In today’s health and planet‑conscious world, that’s a mighty big advantage for a berry!
Consumers aren’t the only ones with a taste for haskaps. Food processing companies and restaurant owners love how easy they are to freeze, export, sell in bulk, and use in berry products. What can we say? Haskaps have all the right stuff!
The Berry That Packs a Punch
In Japan, haskaps have been known for centuries as the berry of long life. And with good reason: they’re a genuine superfood!
Blue on the outside and dark purple on the inside, haskaps contain loads of antioxydants, vitamins A and C, and fibre. It is in fact the intense purple color of the flesh of the haskap that reveals the high concentration of anthocyanins, a powerful and widely studied polyphenol, which gives this berry its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
101 Ways to Eat Haskaps
As with all berries, haskaps can be served in many different ways.
- They can be enjoyed on their own, with yogurt, or in a smoothie.
- They also make an ideal deal topping for a salad with lettuce, spinach, or fennel.
- You can add haskaps to your favourite snacks, juices, and desserts, including cakes, pies, and muffins.
- You can also use them to make delicious salad dressings and sauces—they pair particularly well with duck, lamb, and salmon. If you’re a budding chef, haskaps will put your dishes on the map.
- Ever tried haskap jam? It’s simply divine!
- Looking for a new drink? Haskap wine, beer, and spirits make a fine addition to any bar, fridge, or cellar.
We should also mention that haskaps are very nice when mixed with other berries. Use your imagination and have fun trying different combinations. There are so many possibilities just waiting to be discovered with this new superfruit!